How to Request Reference Letters
I frequently receive requests from students who want me to write
recommendation/reference letters on their behalf for graduate school,
scholarship, employment, and so forth. In some cases, I had few impressions
about the student except that the student had taken
my class. It will be to your benefit if
I know more about you beyond your grade so I can write a concrete
Please refrain from asking me for reference if:
- You received a C or below grade from my class.
- You were in my class but you were a passive classroom participant or
we had little interaction.
- We have not been in touch for at least 2 years - my memory
fades and I may not be able to write a detailed letter for you.
If you decide that you would like me to be on your reference list,
please bring a package that contains the following:
- The required forms with your part filled out.
- Official transcripts.
- Personal statement.
- Addressed envelopes.
- List of deadlines.
- Detailed instruction of electronic submission of reference letter
Please limit your request to no more than 6 letters. Since I always
have a long "to do" list, please allow a minimum of 2 weeks for me to
write the letters.
I wish you success!